Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Flower District

The weather in LA has been perfect lately: warm and sunny with a slight warm breeze. I've been waiting for the nice weather to return, so when it did, I celebrated by walking to the Flower District. It's $1 to get in and it's 2 whole blocks filled with flowers. I picked up fresh tulips, gerbera daisies and snapdragons. When I got home, I went up to the roof to arrange them. They looked so pretty against the blue sky and they brightened my mood and my apartment. I rarely have fresh flowers around, but now that I do, I think it's going to have to happen more often.


When you buy flowers at the Flower District, they wrap them in newspaper


I unwrapped the flowers and cut the stems several times until they were the perfect length


I'm no expert, but I think the daisy/snapdragon combo turned out quite nicely


I chose yellow tulips because they just scream, "summer"


I've got a nice view of the Los Angeles skyline. I love my flowers against this real life pretty background!

New flowers and new followers make me happy! Follow my blog with Google Friend Connect (to the right) or find me on Bloglovin'

10 comments:

  1. Pretty arrangements! I feel like arranging flowers is so hard... will have to try it sometime.

    -Carly

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is an entire flower DISTRICT in LA? Sounds heavenly, I think I'll have to move there. This looks lovely! Especially with your gorgeous view of the skyline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Carly! It's not hard to arrange flowers if you only have a couple different kinds to work with; otherwise I think it's more of a skill, you're right. Thanks for the compliment!

    Marisa, yes! It is heavenly. The only thing is that it's only open til 12 on Saturday so I don't know how often I'll make it! Thanks for following :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no :) your story, and the photos, are killing me :) I haven't seen the sun for how long? three weeks?.. and there're still two months left until spring... :'-( anyway, a flower district sounds so thrilling!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky girl, the floral selections around here are null. I haven't been to LA's flower district, but the flowers at Pike's Market in Seattle blew me away! By the way (maybe you did this after the pictures)-- the snapdragons and the rest of the arrangement will last longer if you remove the foliage below the water line. Otherwise the leaves will promote rot. Wouldn't want those beauties to wilt prematurely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. God it sounds incredible - I'd love to have a fresh bunch of tulips in my house every week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss California flowers! It was always such a treat to get a big armful of fresh flowers at roadside stands. Now I have to pay $10 just for carnations! The tulips are gorgeous against the blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love these photos! and love how BLUE the sky is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone loves to receive flowers. Give loved ones the gift that will last forever and not wilt away in a matter of weeks.
    Flowers

    ReplyDelete