Thursday, February 24, 2011

Ina Garten's Tomato Gratin

If you've been following my blog, then you've probably figured out that I love tomatoes. If not, welcome, and please use this, this, this, and this as a reference. I also love Ina Garten recipes, as seen here and here. This tomato gratin, also known as scalloped tomatoes, combines the best of both worlds. By adding sugar, this pan of ooey, gooey, melt-in-your-mouth goodness is subtly sweet and completely delicious.




Tomato Gratin
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten



Ingredients

Olive oil

1 cup of rustic bread, crusts removed and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces

1 pound of plum tomatoes, 1/2 inch diced (a.k.a. roma tomatoes)

3 cloves of garlic, minced (I like using a garlic press)

2 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1/4 cup julienned basil leaves, lightly packed

1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

Heat 3 teaspoons of olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat

Add the bread cubes and stir to coat with the oil. Cover the pan and cook over medium to medium-high heat for 5 minutes, taking the lid off to stir often, until the cubes are evenly browned

Meanwhile, combine the tomatoes, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl

When the bread cubes are done, add the tomato mixture to the pan and continue to cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes

Turn off the heat, and stir in the basil

Pour the tomato mixture into a shallow baking dish and sprinkle evenly with parmesan

Drizzle with olive oil and bake for about 20-30 minutes, until everything is bubbly

Serve on the bread used for the bread cubes, or as a side dish to an Italian meal

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. my goodness! can i stop by after work and steal your leftovers?! then again, it looks so amazing i'm sure there wont be any!

    xo
    i wander, i wonder

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! i am making this soon! i love your description of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! This just jumped to the top of my "must make this immediately" list!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore tomatoes too - an dthis looks fantastic! And so simple... a perfect Ina Garten inspired recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in love with Ina too...and tomatoes! I have to say I have never made this recipe of hers?! This looks amazing, I will 100% have to try this soon!

    Thanks for following my blog, I'm following you back and look forward to my visits here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok - this is unreal too. i'm following you. please continue to find ways to make my thighs thunderous. i'm ok with it!

    ReplyDelete