Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers

Toward the end of college, I really got into cooking. In fact, I bought a cookbook specifically for students because of the easy, crowd pleasing meals. Even though I graduated almost a year ago (I can't believe it and still tell people I'm a recent grad), this cookbook has stayed relevant. These stuffed peppers are so bright and not complicated by a ton of ingredients as a lot of stuffed pepper recipes are. I say, embrace the college kid in you and give this one a try!






Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
Recipe adapted from The Student Cookbook


Ingredients

4 bell peppers (a combination of red, yellow and orange)

1/3 package of cooked spaghetti

1/4 cup olive oil

15 ripe cherry tomatoes, halved

1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted

3 garlic cloves, minced

3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

1/2 cup parmesan cheese

1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Directions

First, start boiling water to cook the pasta

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Toast the pine nuts by putting them in the toaster oven for about 4 minutes or on the stove on low for about 7 minutes

Finish cooking the pasta to al dente according to package directions, about 5-7 minutes. Drain and toss with olive oil and one clove of garlic

Slice off the tops of the bell peppers and reserve

Scrape out and discard all the seeds and white pith (use a spoon)

Set the peppers in a baking dish small enough to fit them snugly. If they don't stand upright, shave a little piece off the base without cutting through (I purposely looked for level peppers)

Put the tomatoes in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Add the garlic, basil, pine nuts, parmesan and red pepper flakes. Mix well

Add the pasta to the peppers, filling them by two thirds then spoon in the tomato mixture

Put the lids on top and brush all over with olive oil

Bake for 25-30 minutes until the peppers start to wrinkle

Let cool and enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. oh my gosh! these look and sound delicious! great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound wonderful! I love bell peppers, they have such a great flavor and are so packed with vitamin C. Plus, as you have demonstrated, it's so much fun to stuff them with other delicious foods! I think you have inspired me to do some food-stuffing myself, tomatoes here I come :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stuffed peppers look perfect! I tried making them once but they weren't quite good enough, you know? Sometimes simple is better. I'm saving your recipe for a future summer dinner party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in college, I have an enormous craving for stuffed peppers, and these look fan-freakin'-tastic. I need to make these now! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made them tonight and they are AMAZING!!!! I will definitely make these again!!! Thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautiful colours, delicious recipe. Perfect Spring dish... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete