Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Crab Enchiladas with Tomatillo Salsa

El Cholo in downtown LA has amazing chips and guac and some fun twists on inspired Mexican dishes. Last time I went there, I steered clear of my usual bean and cheese burrito (though I've had theirs before and it's one of the best) and ordered the crab enchiladas with jalapeño-cilantro pesto. They were to die for. I recreated them at home by substituting cilantro for basil and adding a seeded jalapeño to regular pesto. It was yummy, but I wanted something lighter. I remembered Emily had used tomatillo salsa in one of her recipes and I decided it would be great on enchiladas too. It was! Perfect for Cinco de Mayo, amigas.


A real California avocado (someone picked this off their tree and gave it to me!)


A flaky and delicious enchilada

Crab Enchiladas with Tomatillo Salsa
Recipe adapted from Food and Wine and Cupcakes and Cashmere


Ingredients
For 8 enchiladas

1 1/2 cans white crabmeat, drained (it's real crab without the hassle)

8 small corn tortillas

Mozzarella cheese (for topping the assembled enchiladas)

Lime wedges (for serving)

For the salsa:

2 tomatillos, husked and quartered

2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

1 small jalapeño, seeded and quartered

1 garlic clove

6 tablespoons light sour cream

1 avocado, halved, peeled and pitted

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Place a few spoonfulls of crabmeat in one tortilla. Roll it up and place it in a small baking pan. Repeat until each roll up fits tightly in the pan. Set aside

In a food processor or blender, puree the tomatillos with the cilantro, jalapeño, and garlic until smooth. Add the sour cream and process until smooth, then add the avocado and pulse until creamy

Remove the blade from the food processor, and pour the salsa on top of the enchiladas

Sprinkle lightly with mozzarella cheese

Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes

Serve with lime wedges and enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. yum! happy cinco de mayo manana!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yumm this looks so good! i lovee avocados! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. you had me at crab. what a great mix of seafood and mexican!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i cannot wait to make this! i'm adding all of the ingredients to my shopping list right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. happy cinco de mayo indeed. crab anything has to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously Heather....this has me DROOLING! Crab and avocado are possibly my two favorite things on earth (next to my husband and my children of course...wait....yes...anyway) I am so jealous of you people who live in California! Picking freakin' avocados off your trees and stuff...it's not fair! I need to move. Happy Cinco!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! This looks incredible! I love tomatillos and I can't imagine having a fresh from the tree avocado. How cool that must be to have an avocado tree.

    ...no rhyme intended.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did I tell you I make that Ina Gardner tomato au gratin all the time now? My boyfriend lovvees it, and I always go back to your website for a refresher on the recipe.

    I'm not crazy about Mexican food, but this looks yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds so good! I love anything with avocados!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what i wouldn't give for an avocado tree. i would get so stinkin creative with avocados. orrr i would be content to make guac every day of the week. <3 EverRubyGirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete