Thursday, October 6, 2011

Fiesta Soup with Roasted Tomatillo and Cilantro Pesto

For some reason, I've been getting Martha Stewart Living delivered to my loft without signing up for it. It has quickly become one of my favorite reads and I feel like the whole thing is written by Martha herself. Getting the magazine inspired me to peruse her website for recipes and I was excited when I came across this soup that doesn't require a hand blender. Initially I thought the batch wasn't big enough, but it proved to be more than enough for two nights of dinner for my boyfriend and me. By storing the pesto separately and using a fresh avocado and baguette the second time around, this soup can hardly be considered leftovers.




Fiesta Soup with Roasted Tomatillo and Cilantro Pesto
Recipe slightly adapted from Martha Stewart



Ingredients

4 tomatillos, peeled and rinsed

2/3 cup fresh cilantro, packed

2 cloves of garlic, minced

2 limes, juiced

1 small white onion, diced

1 jalapeƱo, diced (I didn't take out the seeds and this soup was really spicy. I would recommend taking out at least half of the seeds) 

1 teaspoon ground cumin (I used chili powder instead)

1 28oz can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed and drained

4 cups low-sodium chicken broth

3 ears of corn (Only use the kernels. Remove them by slicing them off with a knife)

1 ripe avocado, cubed

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Place tomatillos on a baking sheet and turn once midway through. Roast for about 25 minutes until they are soft and slightly charred. Remove from oven and let cool slightly

Place tomatillos in the food processor along with the cilantro, lime juice and 1 of the garlic cloves. Process until smooth and set aside
 
Lightly coat bottom of a large nonstick saucepan with cooking spray
 
Add onion, remaining garlic and diced jalapeno. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until onion is softened, about 7 minutes
 
Add cumin (or chili powder), tomatoes, corn and chicken stock. Bring liquid to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat
 
Mix in 3 tablespoons of the pesto to the pot of soup and keep the rest for individual bowls
 
Ladle soup into bowls and add pesto and avocado to each bowl
 
If you have leftover soup, have a new avocado that you use each time you eat it. Also, store the pesto separately
 
Enjoy!
 
Thank you, Martha, for the free magazines and delicious recipe!

3 comments:

  1. That looks so yummy on this rainy day...and I hope most of the ingredients already in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, that soup sounds so good! I've been meaning to try cilantro pesto—I'm such a pesto fiend I'm surprised I haven't made it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds (and looks) amazing! We have a store here in Portland, OR that has an great Mexican food section!

    ReplyDelete