Monday, October 10, 2011

Orzo and Zucchini Salad



I'm always looking for a good homemade pasta salad and I'll definitely make this one again. It's super light and fresh tasting, and the slightly sauteed zucchini gives it a nice crunch. I also like it because it uses orzo and fresh basil, two ingredients that I almost always have on hand, and white wine vinegar, the newest addition to my cabinet.
  
Orzo and Zucchini Salad
Recipe by Martha Stewart



Ingredients

1 cup uncooked orzo

1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil

2 medium zucchini, sliced in coins and then quartered or halved

1 garlic clove, minced

1/2 cup fresh basil, chiffonade or thinly sliced

1-2 tablespoons white wine vinegar (I added 1 tablespoon and then decided I liked it stronger and added another)   

Salt and fresh ground pepper

Directions

Boil salted water in a medium pot and cook orzo until al dente, according to package instructions

Drain well and spread on a rimmed baking sheet to cool completely

In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and zucchini and season with salt and pepper

Cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 4-6 minutes

Transfer orzo to a medium bowl. Add zucchini mixture, basil, vinegar and remaining teaspoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper

Toss to combine

Serve at room temp or chilled. If you really can't wait, it's great warm too!

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Yum! That looks so good! Next time I go to the store I am picking up the ingredients! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny, I used this exact same recipe this summer. This salad is soo delicious and refreshing, I love it!

    Love your blog too!!

    www.inlovewithsandiego.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I may add this to the menu list this week! AMAZE BALLS

    Emily
    www.redesignthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete