Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Prosciutto, Brie and Apple Panini with Scallion Butter




Oh boy, this is the perfect panini for someone like me who loves salty, savory dishes. It's packed with creamy brie and layered with thinly sliced prosciutto and sweet apples. The scallion butter adds such a nice flavor to the sandwich since it's mixed with whole-grain mustard, plus it makes the bread extra crispy! I'll definitely be making this again!

Prosciutto, Brie and Apple Panini with Scallion Butter
Recipe via Food and Wine Magazine





Ingredients
I halved the following recipe so it made two paninis as seen above

4 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, softened

1 scallion, finely chopped 

1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (the juice of 1 lemon)

1/4 teaspoon dijon or whole-grain mustard

4 soft hero or ciabatta rolls (I used a loaf of ciabatta from Trader Joes, cut the ends off, sliced it in half and then cut down the middle)

3/4 pound thinly sliced prosciutto (for the 2 paninis I used one 4oz package from Trader Joes)

1/2 pound Brie, rind removed, cut into pieces

1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (I like the color the peel adds so I left it on)

Directions

In a bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Stir in the scallion, lemon juice and mustard until smooth

Preheat a panini maker on medium-high or a pan on low. Spread the scallion butter on the cut sides of the bread. Lay the prosciutto, brie and apple slices on the bottom half of the bread and close the sandwich

Spread the remaining scallion butter on the outside of the bread

Put the sandwiches on the panini maker that's on medium-high, or if using a pan, put them in and cover with a heavy skillet and cook over low

Once the brie is good and melty, remove from the heat and enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I love apples on sandwiches! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have done your job. I am now drooling like Homer Simpson.

    ReplyDelete